Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Sammy Says

So a couple of years ago I adopted this dog named Sam.  I resolved to me a good doggie mama and walk him often.  There have been many joys and many many frustrations of teaching an energetic lab mix how to walk on a leash near the woods.  I quickly got over the embarrassment of scolding him for chasing squirrels, when I realized it wasn't as bad as having my wrist pulled out of socket.  I marveled at his sense of smell when he would react to a deer nearby before I could spot it, and wondered why he's afraid of turtles and not snakes.  Over the past two years, I've also had a few thoughts reverberate in my spirit (can thoughts reverberate in your spirit?  It just sounded like the right word) that echo God's perspective as I learn to walk with him.  Here they are.



1.       Stay close, it’s for your own good.
2.       You’re on a leash for your own protection and well-being.  When I can trust that you’ll exercise self-control and always stay close to me, you can run free.
3.       When you pull away, you only choke yourself out.  Sorry about that, I know it's uncomfortable, but if I didn't hold on to you, you'd get lost, hurt or even fatally injured.     
4.       Don’t follow your sniffer anytime something new catches your attention, follow me. 
5.       Nothing belongs to you, I just love you enough to let you enjoy it.
6.       When I speed up, speed up with me, when I slow down, slow down with me, when I say rest, rest.  Don’t fight the pace, it just makes things difficult.
7.       I greet new people (and animals) first, to make sure they’re safe and clean.  If I give you permission, you may get acquainted as well.  If I say walk on, walk on.
8.       I talk to you all of the time, it would serve you well to know my voice, my tone, my language, and to listen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment